1. Never tell anyone you are travelling alone.
2. Always plan your route.
3. Make sure you have enough money when you go out.
4. Let your accommodation/host know where you are going if it’s far away.
5. Always check in with home to let them know just in case there are any issues.
6. Make a note of the emergency contact number abroad.
7. Take pictures of your local station or a landmark. This goes a long way if you’re in a country where you can’t speak the language.
8. Keep you rucksack/backpack locked with a combination lock.
9. Always check the timetables if you are using public transport.
10. Make sure you have enough cash with you for emergencies.